The ongoing educational programs we host are part of the backbone of our mission. Along with providing exhibition space to artists, we strive to offer opportunities for the community to learn about the craft of painting and sculpture directly from our members.
- Paul Ingbretson teaches the Boston School tradition in his large studio in Manchester, New Hampshire.
- Melody Phaneuf teaches both classes and workshops.
- David Curtis teaches both classes and workshops. He specializes in plein aire painting.
- J.C. Airoldi teaches landscape painting in oil and pastels.
- William Davis teaches workshops in landscape painting. He is know for his luminous work.
- Tom Dunlay teaches workshops in Maine at Frank Benson’s house. Benson was a founder and second president of the Guild.
- Joe McGurl gives workshops and lectures. He is a well-known landscape painter.
- Sergio Roffo gives workshops specializing in coastal landscapes.
Robert Douglas Hunter Landscape Demonstration
To purchase a copy of this DVD, e-mail us email@example.com, or call us at 617.536.7660. The DVD is a 45 minute demonstration by American Master Robert Douglas Hunter and is priced at $35.00 per copy and $6 if shipped ($15 for international). Also included is a bonus DVD with an hour long interview with Mr. Hunter.
Pencil Drawing in the Visual Order by Paul Ingbretson
This demonstration, approximately 3 hours and 13 minutes, shows Ingbretson, in real time, drawing a portrait in pencil while describing his process. Each pencil mark is shown as he shares the background anecdotes and aphorisms from the past that informed his method. This DVD is available for sale at the Guild of Boston Artists at 162 Newbury Street in Boston. the DVD runs approximately 3 hours and 13 minutes. It is $60.00 for the 2 disk set and $6 if shipped ($15 for international). To purchase a copy of this DVD, e-mail us firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 617.536.7660.
Our Members, both past and present, write about art, collecting, technique and culture. Please enjoy this selection below and check back often, as we will be updating this page frequently.
- (PDF) The Guild of Boston Artists by R. H. Ives Gammell. This comprehensive article about the Guild was written by former Guild president R.H. Ives Gammell. You can also Listen to The Guild of Boston Artists by R. H. Ives Gammell as read by Paul Ingbretson.
- (PDF) Edmund C. Tarbell by Kenyon Cox
- (PDF) Job Behind the Curtain by David H. Lowrey. As many of you know, our Member Davide Lowrey has been working on a series revolving around the subtle complexities in the classic story “The Wizard of Oz”. What you may not know is that David is an accomplished scholar who has researched the parallels between the The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Pilgrims Progress and the Book of Job.